We are Social Creatures, a rapid action committee of scientists, creatives, and activists asking for your help to keep all children and families safe and connected across the United States during the COVID-19 crisis. Through our "Digital Safety Nets" campaign, we are leading education, innovation, and advocacy efforts to increase public awareness and mobilize solutions to end social connectedness inequities.
Social distancing measures across the country are placing children and families from marginalized communities at disproportionate social, economic, and health risks relative to their higher-income peers, in large part due to significant and systemic barriers to connecting with vital social “safety nets” and services. Right now, more than ever, internet access is school access for children, a lifeline for individuals feeling unwell or unsafe in their homes, and a connection to loved ones and resources outside the home. We are on a mission to bridge the “social connectedness gap,” by bringing together science, technology, and advocacy to ensure any individual can connect with others, no matter the circumstances.
Since our conception in March 2020 we have:
- Raised $7,000 in seed funding from the National Science Foundation.
- Partnered with The Family Room to rapidly deploy their safe and highly-interactive digital platform to children and families in need, supporting wellness check-ins and secure mentoring and tutoring services.
- Partnered with local community-embedded, youth-focused nonprofits to support their pivot to remote services, and to amplify our effort to keep children and families safe and connected throughout COVID-19.
- Partnered with Studio Elsewhere to innovate novel digital solutions to the unique challenges social distancing has imposed, such as improving remote detection of abuse in the home, and supporting mental resilience via immersive and interactive virtual experiences.
We are rapidly mobilizing solutions, and co-creating innovative technology as we encounter novel barriers and challenges to connectedness. But creating a world of togetherness takes a village, and we are turning to you to ask for support as we cast our reach nationwide to improve social connectedness for all. We are currently seeking funds to support our efforts, including the provision of internet access and digital solutions for low-income and underserved communities facing social disconnectedness throughout COVID-19.
Your support can make a life-changing difference:
- $50 will purchase a personal hot spot device, enabling mobile internet access for an individual both inside and outside their home.
- $30 will cover 6GB data coverage per month per hot spot device.
- $150 will cover annual access to The Family Room digital platform, keeping a household safely connected with their loved ones and social support networks outside of the home.
- $250 will purchase a Google Chromebook to keep a child engaged with online learning.
- $500 will equip one household with an all-encompassing Social Creatures “Social Connectedness Kit,” including the purchase of a laptop computer or tablet with pre-loaded internet connectivity, The Family Room, and additional add-on apps and information enabling free and easy access to tele-healthcare, mental health, and wellness services.
Thank you sincerely for your support.
The Social Creatures Team